As parents, we spend a lot of time (and money) creating the perfect birthday events for our children. But what about when it’s time for an adult celebration? Grown-ups deserve to be celebrated too!
A nice dinner out at one of the many amazing and delicious restaurants is our usual night-out plan when we get the chance to leave the kids behind. It’s not hard to find a great spot for a couple or a small group to celebrate any occasion.
Next time you are on the hunt for an idea that caters to the grown-ups in your life, check out some of these great opportunities to learn something new, explore a local resource, or even engage in some friendly competition.
- Take a cooking class: Learn how to make sushi, explore the offerings at Publix, or try your hand at a more refined menu from the Grand Bohemian Hotel.
- Spa Day: There is nothing wrong with a little pampering on your special day. We have several great day spas across many different areas of town.
- Wine, Beer, or Spirit Tasting: Birmingham is known for its microbrews, but there are also opportunities here for wine and spirits tastings, too. Reserve the private experience at Dread River Distillery to learn while you drink.
- Pack a Picnic: Pack your own and choose or scenic spot around town, or connect with Birmingham Picnic Co to have a unique setup curated for your special occasion.
- Animal Encounter at the Zoo:: This is not just a spot for the kids. Adults can experience some time up close and personal with the animals too.
- Pixel Room: Let’s take a selfie! Or a lot of selfies in front of perfectly styled and fun backdrops at this spot at the Shoppes at Grand River.
- Nature Lovers: Experience some quality time at one of the many spots to enjoy the fresh air and scenery. Try a walk down Rotary Trail, a hike or kayaks at Oak Mountain State Park, or the zip line at Red Mountain Park.
- Get Creative: If you enjoy working with your hands, give a paint night a try at your local Sips n Strokes. Or explore the different DIY creative opportunities offered at Hammer & Stain or Pinspiration Birmingham. I recommend the splatter room!
Sometimes bigger is better. When you can’t get a sitter for the kids or you want to let more friends in on the celebration, check out these fun ideas for groups:
- Get Physical: Work up a sweat with something a bit physically demanding for the group. Top Golf, axe throwing, rock climbing, paintball, bowling, roller skating, or even car racing at the Autobahn Indoor Speedway.
- Tour Town: Explore different areas of town with a brewery tour for the group and a ride on the Birmingham Pedal Tour. Or take your party to enjoy one of Birmingham’s sports teams in action. Enjoy the Birmingham Barons in the summer, Legion soccer in the fall, the Birmingham Bulls hockey or Squadron basketball in the winter, and amateur events year-round at the many college campuses like UAB, Samford, and Birmingham Southern.
- Mind Games: If you are looking for something that gets your mind going, take your group on an escape room adventure or enjoy the oddly calming experience of the Rage Room. You could even go a little retro with a night of fun and arcade games at The Hive or Paramount.
Birthday parties aren’t just for kids. Take this list and create your own special night of fun. Have an idea that’s not on the list? Drop it in the comments so we can add it to the party rotation!